Just set up my girlfriend's blog site in just over 30 minutes! (sleepynoo.com)
The internet world is a different place thanks to you guys.
A bit more detail on how you can make a 30 minute website with the above services:
- Buy the domain from Gandi, you get 5 mailboxes included
- Set up an EC2 instance on Amazon. Choose the Ghost AMI by Bitnami from the AWS Marketplace. (You can also choose Wordpress or Drupal if you prefer)
- Get a snazzy theme off themeforest.net (Make sure it's for Ghost if you chose the Ghost AMI).
Use Filezilla to upload the theme:
- Go into Filezilla settings and select 'SFTP' from the left menu. You can then add a new Public Key.
- you add the .pem file you got from Amazon for your EC2 instance and Filezilla will convert it to a ppk file.
- You can then use the IP address as the domain name, SFTP as the protocol and 'ubuntu' as the username to connect to your site's filesystem. (No need for a password).
Create a hosted zone using AWS 'Route 53'. You then just create an A Record with the public IP address of your EC2 instance.
- Your hosted zone will come with some DNS records (4 of them to be precise). Copy them.
- Go back into Gandi and under your domain settings you can modify the DNS records, inserting the ones you just copied.
- Your site should be ready to go - just need to populate the content...but with Ghost it's extremely easy!
Thanks for reading - any questions please let me know!